Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Pre-Days

Hi Friends!
We are finally going to hike the AT!  We're so excited.  We left Boston yesterday night and tonight we're sleeping at a youth hostel, The TeaHorse, in Harper's Ferry.   We'll start bright(ish) and early(ish) tomorrow morning after our complimentary waffle breakfast.
In terms of blogging, hopefully we'll be keeping a journal on the trail that I can copy into the blog when we get into town. I'm going to try to post both logistical information- miles hiked, shelters visited, gear failure/successes- as well as reflections on attempting to hike 2,300 miles.  Pictures will be dependent on computer compatibility. For example, while I currently have internet, I have no way to upload my pictures as we didn't bring the USB cable and this IBM ThinkCenter doesn't seem to have an SD card reader. 

Thoughts:
While I am unbelievably excited to be hiking the trail, I'm also a bit  nervous. I'm concerned for our health (but not safety). In Korea I developed this minor hip issue. It's a soft tissue issue that is possibly, although I'm not sure, related to my IT band. It's not debilitating and it hasn't stopped me from any movement but I have had it for over 6 months.  While I think spending all my time hiking and stretching will probably be good for it-I'm still a bit worried that it will cause me some problem and force us off the trail. I'm not certain if this is a serious concern or just lingering emotional stress from trying to figure out what the issue was while living in Korea. The saga of this hip thing started with a reference to surgery, took me to three different doctors, put me through various X-rays and a bone scan.  phewf.  Anyway,  now you know about it so if I'm referencing it you know a bit of the background.
 Aside from that however,  I'm not concerned about the bailing on the physical work or the possible tedium.   I love movement.  Everytime we go out for a hike or walk I feel so joyful.  Action is, in it's own way, a great meditation and I'm looking forward to doing something physical everyday.  I'm also curious how my moods and thoughts will vary as we encounter different things on the trail.  
 A friend asked me if I was worried about hiking with Jamie, she wanted to know if I was worried about fighting with him on the trail. I think not.  If we made it through Korea, various Southeast Asian countries, amoebic dysentery, being stranded with only $30 in Thailand, and threats from North Korea I think we can make it through this. 

Well, I've got to get back to the common area.  Jamie and our new hiker friend, Rambo, are chatting it up and I don't want to miss out on any useful tips.  (he's already given us a few).

LOGISTICS:
Monday night:
Mega Bus: depart Monday Boston 11:20p arrive DC 9:20a.  Cost, $20 for two

Tuesday:
Lunch with Aida 1:30 pm (even though she forgot about the fact that we made a plan for noon)

Amtrack Train: Depart DC 4:05p, Arrive Harper's ferry 5:15p. Cost, $24 for two

Lodging: Teahorse Hostel 
Free pick up from the train and great company. Cost, $56 for two (including breakfast)
http://www.teahorsehostel.com/


No comments:

Post a Comment