Friday, May 25, 2012

AT Day 17 Campsite --> Rauch Gap Shelter

Miles: ~13
Total: ~152.3
Stops: Yellow Springs Village Site
Sights: 2 rattle snakes and many many orange salamanders

Shannon:  I LOVE the aircast.  13 miles felt great.  I was tired but my ankle felt fine.  I'm sad this is our last hike with Eleanor. It was fun to have a buddy.
We're in Rauch Gap Shelter tonight with four others: Snarf, Eleanor, John, and Glide. 
Mentally, I'm feeling great. Took a little nap at lunch , had a millipede crawl across my toes and then, when we got going again I almost stepped on a rattlesnake. One more step.  When I first saw it, I thought "oh, how nice" but then it rattled. Scary!

Jamie:  Not to much to add. The rattlesnake business was a trip.   For the rest of the day I was jumping at every little noise/motion in the forest.  Six of us at this little shelter and one camping nearby-popular spot.  Had a great time seeing all the wildlife (except the crazy bugs that keep kamakazi-ing into my eyeballs)

1 comment:

  1. Ooh, snakes have never really bothered me much, but I've never come face-to-face with a rattler!

    ReplyDelete