Sunday, May 20, 2012

Day 11 Darlington Shelter to Duncannon PA

Darlington Shelter to Duncannon PA
Miles: 11
Total 123
Stops: Cove Mountain Shelter
Deer count: 8

Shannon:  I twisted my ankle again. this time hurt real bad, but once we started moving i felt OK.  However, I spent about 2 hours thinking i would have to quit the trail.  I'm still pretty bummed but feeling optimistic.  The rocking coming into Duncannon were real scary-apparently there's more of those to come.  Some little five year old was skipping up the hill as we were struggling to go down.  She stopped and asked us, "Are you going down?"   "yes" we replied.  "well, you better be careful on those rocks."  Noted.

Jamie:  Difficult day, emotionally and a little tough physically.  We started out by getting soaked in the dewy long grass of the narrow field paths that make up the AT in the Cumberland valley. Then Shannon slipped in some mud (it wasn't even the rocks!) and hurt her ankle real bad which was upsetting. She pushed through but it got worse from there so I found I watched her footing as much as my own.  It was relieving when we finally got to the Cove Mountain Shelter for a rest.   Anyway, the 4 miles from there to Duncannon was tough and we were thrilled to make it to the Doyle.


1 comment:

  1. Hang in there, guys! Don't be crazy though, take it easy!

    ReplyDelete