Monday, October 8, 2012

AT Day 151 Tenting to Fort Bastian Recreation

October 8
Miles ~ 14
Total

After our cozy fire and my sit-ups to warm the tent up we slept pretty well last night. So well infact that we hardly wanted to get out of our sleeping bags.  Both jamie and I woke up at our allotted wake up time and both of us just ignored it.  This morning was cold!  We stayed in our sleeping bags as long as possible-I'd even say longer than we should have.  We finally sat up at 7:20 and started walking by 8:45.   And it was cold.  Very cold.  Can I remind you that it was raining yesterday and that my boots don't dry  out in one night.  My toes were numb for the first 2 miles.  We walked almost continuously to Lunch at the shelter 13 miles away.  We were finally nice and warm when we arrived for lunch.  After about 10 minutes of sitting however, we were cold again.  My shoes were still wet because it had started raining again at some point during our walk.  As we suited up to leave Jamie says, "four more weeks of this fun!"  As we walked and warmed up I was thinking that I hoped the next 10 miles go as quickly as the first 13.  When we got the first road crossing we saw a sign for "TruBrit."  This sign read "Call if you need a night off the trail. Sleep the night in my Dojo. Pizza Plus next door. Hot breakfast at the Gas station.  All Free" 
We were both so cold and wet that we decided to call him.  He came to get us 10 minutes later and here we are. 
There's 13 of us here all camped out on the Dojo mats.  The man who runs this place is trying to start a wilderness school and he sees taking in hikers as a way to get the word out.   So, there you are.  And here WE are.  For the night.

P.S.  We heard it's supposed to snow.
SO HAPPY TO BE HERE.

P.P.S. The random jar of peanut butter is to show how much we ate in one day. Somewhat disgusting.






No comments:

Post a Comment