Monday, September 10, 2012

All the time in the World

Hi Friends!

I know you've been compulsively checking the blog for new entries and you have been sorely disappointed each time. One dutiful reader has pointed out the she's read "The Birdcage" post hundreds of times. (I was wondering about the view count on that one).  

I'm here to apologize, give excuses and make some promises.

First, Apology.
I'm sorry.  I know how much you look forward to that random day when I upload weeks worth of journal entries. I know how much you miss the middle school quality of my trail ramblings.    I know the quality of your internet time has gone down because I've been lagging behind.   I know this and so again I say:  I'm Sorry.

Second, Excuses.
So, way back in July, July 4th to be exact, I lost the camera.  We got off the trail after I hurt my ankle in Dalton and used that as an excuse to go and visit friends in the Happy Valley-AKA Amherst/Northampton.  While there we celebrated the Fourth of July (our first in America since 2009) with a Tubing Adventure down the Deerfield river.  As you may or may not recall, our camera is waterproof so, of course, we brought it along.   The camera successfully made it through the trip and I was marveling at technology when it came time to load the cars.  I must have put the camera down to help pack up because it was at this point that I last remember having the Camera.  Le sigh.   Depressing.   With the camera lost, I got a bit depressed and stopped writing at night or really caring  much about going to find internet access so we got a bit behind.
 I know at this point your thinking: "LIAR! There are clearly more posts AFTER July 4th!  This is an excuse!"     Well, yes.  But when I really stopped posting/writing was during the White Mountains.  The White Mountains, and Maine after it, are a tiring and beautiful section of that AT.  At night I would be thinking about how absolutely beautiful the hike was today and how I wished I had my camera to show you and that I should try to write up a little description of how cool it was.  However, I would be to tired to write about the day and depressed that I couldn't capture the glory of the view.   Let me tell you-once you stop writing at night, it's hard to get back into the habit.   3 days turned into 3 weeks turned into the rest of the hike.  I have some stuff here and there that I'll post but it's not so consistent.
OK. stop smirking.  this little section was named "excuses."

Third, Promises.
One of the things that I'm not good at doing is writing, long hand, in a journal.  Not only is that apparent from the lack of posts but you've probably also figured it out from the "What I did During the Summer" essay quality of the writing.   I've convinced myself (and Jamie) that if I had some technology I would be a more dedicated blogger.   Well, now we have some new technology.  We've become the proud owners of a smart phone. We're bringing it on the trail.   I am hoping that this new breakable and expensive toy will encourage me to blog more from the trail.   You still won't be getting daily updates but I'm hoping that using a mini computer will be easier for me to write my daily adventures out and that I will be more accountable to updating you on my adventures.  Also, I'm hoping that having it already in a mini-computer will make it easier to transfer it to the World Wide Web when we get into a town with internet access.
So, I promise that I will try to be better about blogging and journaling during the second half of the trip.

In the meantime, we've been hiking with some people. They are all finished with their hikes, but you can peruse through their journal entries for exciting things.  I've linked you directly to an entry that talks about or pictures us since I know that you want to know everything 'Shannon and Jamie' related.

In all honestly, they've just mentioned our name or put a picture of us. But hey, it will give you a little something to do.  In this group, we hiked with Instigator and Expeditor the most so you might find more postings that mention us if you read more of their travels in the Whites/Maine.

Until next time!

Instigator and Expeditor, Sharing the Insanity
http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=386314

Rayo
http://followingblazes.blogspot.com/2012/05/day-77.html

Snarf:
http://liam-appalachiantrail.blogspot.com/2012/05/real-time-blog-5-25.html

Trog:
http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=387752

Myakka Mules:
http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=385981

Standing Bear and Molasses:
www.hike4kids.com
(while they don't mention us they are doing a charity hike)


2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love you, shannon, but i don't think i'll be calling you jukebox anytime soon. THANKS FOR THE POST! <3

    ReplyDelete