Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Day 49 Birdcage to the Birdcage Via Mt Greylock

Miles 13
Total 471

To the astute observer you might remember that yesterday I said the SlackPack would be 23 miles yet I seem to have written 13.  You might also recall that I was buying new boots in an effort to eliminate my ankle trouble.  You might also know me to be a bit reckless.  Fine. I'll stop stalling and tell you of my stupidity.

I hike with an aircast but I was hoping to discard it when I upgraded to high boots.   As a "test" I brought my aircast but didn't put it on.  Stop "tsking".  I learned my lesson.  Yes.  I sprained my ankle. Badly.   Actually, all day today was stressful-not just the ankle part.
  I didn't realize that we weren't going to be able to get to the mountain until 10am.  A 10am start over 23 miles made me very anxious-even without the pack on.  In fact, I was so anxious and nervous that I had my first panic attack.   Let me tell you how it started.  First, I was having a hard time breathing which might have been partly due to spending time with more cigarette smoke that I've been around in a long time.  So I had to slow down.  Then I started to panic that if I was going slower than normal, we wouldn't make it over the mountain.  Then I did a little math.  We hike at about 2 miles an hour. 23 miles would take us around 11 hours.  But 23 miles over the biggest mountain in MA might take us a little longer as I tend to get tired the longer I hike.  So now, adding up the time 1 realized we might not get back until around 11pm.(i exaggerated in an effort to really freak myself out)   I was NOT excited about hiking in the dark.  Then I really started to panic. I couldn't breath and started crying. (Not really helping the timeframe).  Having my first real panic attack, I was unsure about how to calm myself down.   Jamie rubbed my back and gave me some water.  Ultimately, I got myself back under control and we continued on.   By the time we summit-ed around 2pm and ate lunch and I was feeling worlds better. 
We even ran into a hiker we had met back at the Doyle-Baked Beans- and the other Dalton trail angel-Tom Levardi.  Both things putting me in a great mood.  We ate lunch and started down the other side. 
Not hiking with packs is a joy!  It's so easy! I felt like I was flying!  But I can't fly and ultimately I came crashing down on a root and re-twisted my ankle. This time was, by far, the worst.  I couldn't get up for a good 10 minutes and then I couldn't walk.  Normally, when I've twisted my ankle I walk off the pain.  Not so this time.  I was afraid to even take off my boot and look at it.  We hobbled out the last three miles and called Mr Bird to come save us.  He drove us to the ER because I was afraid it was fractured.  After 2 hours, X-rays and a great chat with the administrative lady we left with these words from the not-my-favorite young PA, "It's not fractured, and even though you're going to ignore me-stay off of it for a few days."

But we decided we wouldn't ignore her! So, we've called our friend Chris Watkins to come and rescue us.  We're going to take some time off in the Valley.  And I'll wear the Aircast forever.  I mostly promise!

Top of Greylock
Top of Mount Greylock!

Untitled

The war Memorial

1 comment:

  1. Oh no, sorry to hear about your ankle! Good advice, stay off it for awhile! Hope things are better soon!

    ReplyDelete