Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Life back in Everett

Living back in my hometown has been interesting. I went for a walk through the city the other day and it's both exactly the same and completely different. Hospital Hill was a little smaller than I remembered it but the view from the top was still wonderful. And, of course, being here makes me think of all the stupid things I did as a teenager but I notice that it has given me a little more patience for the teenagers wandering around the city. I've also been walking a lot more. Jamie and I got to wellington station with about 35 minutes to kill before the bus came. So we walked home. Why, oh why, didn't I do that when I was younger? I remember waiting in the cold for the bus for what seemed like ages!
It's also been interesting to see all the new apartment buildings right around Everett - lots down by Wellington and even new swanky looking lofts down on 99. And a windmill across from the electric plant! (Not that I've seen it move. ) And I noticed the nursing home at the end of main street has been changed into a Backpackers Hostel. Interesting.

It's also a lot more diverse than I remember it being. This thought could, of course, be a by-product of having been in the most homogenous nation on the planet for few years, but I think not. I enjoy hearing all the different languages and having access to excellent and varied food. I also like riding the bus and being surrounded by a varied group of people.

Overall, it's been really exciting to be back.


I keep simultaneously hoping that I run into someone I know and dreading it. I'm so interested in what my high school alum are doing but so worried that I wouldn't recognize them if I saw them!

No comments:

Post a Comment